Thursday 25 June 2009

How to stop wasting time and enjoy life


[under construction]
STOP BEING HOOKED BY MOVIE/BOOK HOOPLA
People don't have a sense of roots, family or belonging anymore,
so they get a feeling of belonging from
clambouring onto a bandwagon for some
stupid pulp fiction craze and/or
movie hype.

I HAVE THE ANSWER, AND IT DOESN'T COST NOTHING.
I gotta admit, I've employed the 'Berlins' technique for decades,
but never have quite put it into words so eloquent as the man himself:

Marcel Berlins (Guardian) published this text below on how to
avoid the hype in pop culture
and save years of your life,
because you're gonna be
bombarded by the stuff in the media anyway.
e.g. Does anybody not know
the basic facts on Harry Potter?
I've never openned one of those HP books,
I once met a gal who was a
foolish slave
to that bunch of pages
stuck
together, in SEVEN editions.
(As if the first million dollars sufficient for Rowling)

'nuff already!

just read this and get a life:
[Here is Berlins' story- copyright Guardian] [my comments- cos67]

Many years ago, following a painful attempt to reach page 40 of the Hobbit, I took a decision never to read the Lord of the Rings [drawing Flies], or anything about the book, its characters or its author. It didn't matter much then but my policy began to yield serious results when the three films of the book were made. Merely not going to see them only saved me a couple of days; but avoiding the surrounding publicity,of whatever kind and about whomever, has by now amounted to about 4 months (on the basis of a 35 hour week).

But it was not until the first Harry Potter novel was published- and six more were promised-that I realised how fruitful my strategy of total avoidance could be. Even before the first film I had saved two months by ignoring the books and all the accompanying Pottermania....

-Cos67 ~( %^D>