Saturday 22 January 2011

Cos67 is a trendsetter

I dedicate this self-congratulatory message to the other Marxes, and their thesis on economics 'Duck Soup'[1930s translation: mucho problemos]

Over two years ago, I created an interview with Karl Marx, Groucho's cousin.

Just a few days ago, I was honoured to see the New Statesman do the same thing.

Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, especially since I don't have a lawyer.

-Cos67 ¬(%^D>
checkitout:

Mine is here: 23 November 2008

http://outnaboutcanuck.blogspot.com/2008/11/marx-on-duck-soup-and-opiates.html

It's funny, pertinent and irreverent. The one below is windy, theoretical, Fl%^&**king Prada overcoats and boring, but we can't all be perfect. you decide:

the New Statesman: http://www.newstatesman.com/ideas/2011/01/8220-crisis-interview-theory

Diss capital
by Paul Mason
Published 06 January 2011
...
Karl Marx, in London for a book signing, stumbles off the Eurostar and straight into an interview with Paul Mason at a cafĂ© in King’s Cross. How does the credit crunch fit with the guru’s theory of crisis?
I've prepared this whole historical decompression briefing for him: the match girls' strike, the petrol engine, cinema, Lenin, the Warsaw Pact, the John Betjeman statue. But he stops me short: "I know, I know all about it. You think we don't have Wikipedia up there?"

“You see everything?"

“Better than you! We see it without sen­suous historical experience. It's like watching a slow-motion car crash. Just wait till you get there: it will restore your faith in the objective forces of history."

I explain that I want to ask about the credit crunch, how it fits with his theory of crisis -

“I've got an hour and then I'm doing a book signing . . ."

“Which book?" I joke.

He laughs: as we all learned in the 1980s, there is more than one volume of Marx's Capital, and more than one theory of crisis therein. So which one fits the events since the Lehman Brothers crash?

“OK. Crisis 101," he begins. We've grabbed a table at a Starbucks on Euston Road and he's let me buy him a double espresso.

“In the book, what I say is that the possibility of crisis is there right from the moment you separate sale from purchase. Once you've got a society based on money and commodities you can have a situation where there's enough produce to go around - enough Fairtrade coffee, iPods, Prada overcoats" (he is wearing a Prada overcoat) - "but not enough money for people to buy it."

“So the commodity is the root of all evil?"

“It makes crisis possible, is all."

So what has caused this one?

“In the book I never actually got around to a synthetic crisis theory so, as you know, 'ze Marxists'" - he does inverted commas with his fingers - "had to scrabble around in my notebooks to concoct one."

“So you don't have a synthetic theory of the credit crunch?"

“There is one, but you have to remember that the book was written at a certain level of ­abstraction . . ."

“OK," I press him. "There are three recognised causes of crisis in Marxist economics: underconsumption, disproportionality and overproduction. Do you buy that, at least?" [blah, blah and so on]