Wednesday 23 March 2011

therapeutic music for the hard-of-hearing

this idea came from the BBC Radio4 segment Inheritance tracks, on 12 March
Nirvana as mental therapy
Here's Jo Scanlon's advice on the power of alt music:

"Get in touch with power, passion."
"accept the ugly stuff."
"Ride the energy."
___
I dare say the old chickie’s got it. I've believed exactly those things for decades, and won't listen to sappy music, or most classical. Those who listen to dead or lifeless music have got modern life all wrong. You need music that will boil your blood, in order to survive the slings and arrows of life.
I never liked Teen Spirit, but I've always understood the 'therapeutic' passion it brought forth in listeners.


One of the things I do when listening to music is to try to discern where one musician got his ideas from. Often, it sounds like someone has borrowed a few notes from a previous song, intentionally or not. I'd like to do a radio show about musical borrowing.
Anyway, I've linked Teen Spirit, with an old, but timely song, Godzilla:

Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult

[check the starting chord progressions and speed up this turgid, scary tune, to get Teen Spirit]

Next, I should link the song Godzilla back to the FUKushima story, on my other blog. That story tells the 'story' of Godzilla and how it was created from a nuclear leak into the sea, just like what's happening in Fukushima, right now!

Cos67 ¬(%^D>

checkitout:
Hear the songs picked by Jo Scanlon on BBC Radio4
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zd700