Sunday 19 June 2011

Benny and the Dogg

coming soon


it must have been this special in NY


Snoop Dogg: 'Women are getting empowered. Now I have a daughter, I understand'
As Snoop Dogg, Prince Harry's favourite hip hop star, nears 40, he reflects on how his family has changed him… and on the talents of Benny Hill

o Elizabeth Day
o The Observer, Sunday 19 June 2011
....Snoop Dogg has always been a mass of contradictions: the credible rapper who went commercial; the stoner with an admirable work ethic; the one-time pimp who married his high school sweetheart, and the former murder suspect who now coaches his son's youth team. He seems to delight in confounding expectations. When the woman from his record label tells me he has a soft spot for Benny Hill, I'm barely even surprised.
"I love Benny Hill," Snoop enthuses when I bring it up. "He one of my favourites of aaall time. Like, the way Benny did it, he was just amazing. Just seeing how he put songs together and comedy and the timing and the sketches. He was way ahead of his time."
Does he, I wonder, see a bit of himself in Benny Hill? Snoop leans back in his chair, legs spread apart. He turns to look at me through slanted eyes, his face sharp, eyebrows minutely raised. "I would like to play Benny Hill in the Benny Hill movie," he says, enunciating every vowel like he's eating molasses. "I'll even paint my face white." He laughs, delighted at the thought. Knowing Snoop Dogg and his capacity for self-transformation, the idea is probably not as far-fetched as it sounds.