Saturday 5 November 2011

the tired old Ballad of Tony I

Now, don't get me wrong. I like their music and they've
pulled a pretty good one, those Sabbath boys, but
just because you're famous doesn't mean you need
to write a biography.

If a boring guy writes a biography, I just want the data.
Who, what , where, when, on which chick, in which position.
that's it.

It's that way with Tony, and a lot of others.

BTW, there was a great song by an Ottawa band called the
Ballad of Richard Iomi about a crazy fan of Black Sabb that
went around telling stupid fantasy stories that he'd dreampt
up about Black Sabbath, until one Canadian rocker chick singer
told him to get a life. Quite a song. Did well on the radio.

Now that guy deserves a
biography more than some of those illiterate, lucky, drunk,
stoned bastards who get millions for repeating their hits
ad infinitum while I got work like a maniac to survive.

the song. Maestro.



checkitout: Metro

Tony Iommi: Black Sabbath could record with Ozzy Osbourne again

Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi discusses writing his new autobiography, life as a rock star and whether Ozzy Osbourne will ever rejoin the band.


Did you learn anything about yourself from writing the book?


I shocked myself with the amount of things I’ve done and the things I forgot about doing. I look back and it all seems a bit confusing.


Are you more proud than confused?


It’s been a long battle but it’s been great. I’ve had great times with different line-ups of the band. That’s as far as the music’s concerned. The marriages have been a different story – the current one’s great but there have been some ups and downs with the others.


What are you proudest of achieving in your career?


I’ve got hundreds of gold and platinum discs, so I can’t complain. We’d heard: ‘You’ll never make anything of this, get a proper job,’ from our families. So when the first album got in the charts that was a proud moment, and our families were proud too.


Do you see your influence on new rock bands?


Yes, and it’s not me saying that, they tell me themselves. Metallica, Soundgarden, Nirvana – they all said Sabbath influenced them. And there’s people who I’d never have thought of such as Ice T and Lil Wayne, he does a bit of Iron Man on one of his tracks. Sometimes they say: ‘You’ve influenced my music.’ I can’t see how but it’s a nice compliment.


Does touring get harder as you get older?


The travelling is the hard part – we travel in the best way but it still tires you out. It’s worth it for the hour and a half I play on stage.


How has the music industry changed since you started?


When we started you had people who followed you for a long time, we still do, but it turns over fast now. In the old days you’d get a five-album record deal, now it’s one album and if it doesn’t sell a million, you’re gone. Its sad record stores have gone. It was great to go into them and look at album covers and have a look around. It’s all online now, which is more convenient I suppose.


What lessons has the music industry taught you?


I’m still learning. For years, when we were meeting producers and executives, we were told: ‘You should be doing this and that.’ But I just got on with it and did what I believed in. That’s pushed us through.


What’s the worst advice you’ve been given in your career?


‘Sign this.’ In the early days we signed so many deals with management, not thinking, just wanting to go out there and play. You learn the hard way.


What’s your relationship with Ozzy Osbourne like now?


It’s good. We’ve had our ups and downs in the past but it’s been blown out of proportion to the point where, from the outside it looks really bitter, but we’ve never really fallen out.


He sued you over who owns the name of the band though.


Yes, but we’ve sorted that out now. These things crop up. You sort them out and then they go away.


Will you record with him again?


Who knows? It’s like when we had Ronnie James Dio with us, we broke up, got back together, did another album and tour. You can never tell. We got back together with Ozzy in 1997 and toured so you never know what’s around the corner.


You live in the Midlands – why don’t you have a big LA mansion?


I lived there for five years but I missed sarcasm. My solid friends are here. You’re on your own a lot of the time on tour so it’s great to come home and see friends and be yourself without having to meet people and sign things all the time.


What have you got left to achieve in your career?


I’m doing the soundtrack to three horror films, which I’m looking forward to. I’ve got a lot of ideas but won’t know where to start until I see the films.


Iron Man is out now published by Simon and Schuster.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/music/878743-tony-iommi-black-sabbath-could-record-with-ozzy-osbourne-again#ixzz1d3QKbOJh